Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA
Missiongreen|spaces' mission is to advance the sustainability of living, working, and building in Chattanooga and the surrounding region.
Our donors and members support this mission through award-winning, innovative programs and our storefront resource center.
Our programs all work toward the triple bottom line which includes environmental, social, and economic sustainability and we align our programs with the key components of our mission: Living, Working, and Building.
What We DoFollowing our mission, green|spaces offers a variety of programs and projects to advance sustainable living, working & building!
1. Empower Chattanooga - teaching low and no cost ways to save money on utility bills to low income residents in our area. We reach over 100 residents through partnerships with non-profits, civic organizations and neighborhood groups.
2. Build it Green & Work Team - a 12-week construction and energy service career workforce development program connecting at-risk young adults with pathways out of poverty. The work team provides free or low cost home weatherization improvements to those in need.
3. Green Prix - partnering with almost 40 local schools, students design and build electric power race cars. They learn STEM and team building skills over the school year.
1. Green|Light - a 3rd party certification supporting local businesses to operate more sustainable by advancing their work across 8 categories including waste, employee health & wellness, purchasing policies and more.
2. Green|Leader - an eight-week course designed to help working professionals, students, and passionate citizens acquire a significant understanding of the fundamental challenges and business opportunities arising from our rapidly changing environment and economic landscape.
1. NextGen Homes - a series of homes built to produce as much energy they consume through efficient building techniques and use materials that protect the health of the occupant. Today, we are working with local builders to continue to offer high quality homes at market-rate.
2. Affordable Zero Energy Homes - using the model from the NextGen Homes, we worked with Habitat for Humanity to develop an affordable net zero home.
1. Lunch & Learns - monthly, green|spaces hosts lunch & learns to educate the building industry and general public on sustainability-related issues and advances in technology.
2. Green Drinks - hosted at a new location each month, Green Drinks features a local business with a sustainable product or operates in a sustainable method.
3. Resource Center - open to the public, green|spaces offers information and connections to products businesses to help one achieve their sustainability goals.