Striving Together to Empower People
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
MissionTo improve the quality of life for children and adults in the community of Belmont.
What We DoSTEP CDC:
1. Provides a summer learning enhancement program, to prevent loss of knowledge and skills learned during the school year. This program meets Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-2 pm.and targets children age 5-16 years old.
2. Children participate in age apppropriate learning, recreation and socialization.
3. Children receive a healthy breakfast, lunch, snacks and beverages while at the program.
3. Children are taken on local and nearby trips to increase undertanding of the world and the importance of getting along with others.
4. The summer program is overseen and managed by a retired elementary school teacher and volunteers who enjoy working with children
Adult Basic Education/GED Preparation
1. This program targets adults who did not complete high school and prepares them to complete the GED examination;
2. Participants are assessed to identify learning needs using a standardized tool that evaluates math, reading, writing, skiils and knowledge of basic social studies/civics.
3. Participants receive one to one support in areas identified as challenges via standardized assessment tool and areas idnetified by participants Support is provided by an experenced, volunters GED prep instructor and volunteers with past work histories as educators.
4. Participants learn in a positive, non-competitive learning enviorment that improves self-esteem, self-confidence to prepare participants for employment.
5. Participants meet with instructors 1-2 times per week, 2-3 hours per day