MissionTo provide independent and meaningful living for older adults through direct services and programs in the home and community.
What We DoSCS' vision is to help older people live healthier, more active, and more independent lives, for longer than ever before. SCS' goal is to continually develop and improve upon a comprehensive, coordinated and accessible system of services responsive to the needs of the aging population throughout the county. These programs and services include:
* Four nationally accredited Senior Centers nurture the mind, body and soul of active older adults. Nearly 6,100 individuals made 82,730 visits to SCS Centers last year.
* Congregate Meals serves almost 28,000 noon-time southern-style dinners, deli sandwiches, and hot lunches at SCS' Centers.
* Senior Suppers Home Delivered Meal Program is the oldest and largest program that brings hot meals to the homes of frail, low-income elderly who lack access to proper nutrition. Last year, SCS served 130,452 meals from five kitchens.
* Center for Life Long Learning provides adult education that engages, energizes and entertains while fostering active aging.
* Aging at Home - A Community Network is a model initiative that provides 800 members in the Greater Lansdowne and Ridley with personalized transportation, home repair referral, and assistance with chores to allow an elder to enjoy independent living versus institutional care.
* Care Management connects low-income elderly to support services such as personal assistance, home modifications, and chore help. SCS served over 1,600 homebound older persons last year.
* Caregiver Support Program assists approximately 180 families each year who maintain their loved ones at home. SCS also hosts The Caregiver Academy, an annual series of educational seminars with speakers specifically geared towards helping individuals caring for a loved one.
* APPRISE Health Insurance Counseling and Hotline ensures older adults receive their health and prescription insurance benefits by providing education and advocacy.
* Hearing Discovery Center provides education, support groups and a loaner library of assistive devices for the hearing impaired.
* Cognitive Stimulation contains abundant content to trigger sensory responses and powerful reminiscence and discussions. There are 339 kits used for more than 1,000 person-to-kit program interactions annually in homes of older adults, and through adult day programs, assisted living and nursing homes.
* Volunteer Program recruits, trains and recognizes 431 indispensable individuals who dedicated an astonishing 53,118 philanthropic hours to SCS last year.