A cohesive strategic business plan will only help guide our organization in a direction that can better serve the children and families in our community. The strategic business plan will serve as management document that will guide our work for the next three years with an emphasis on continuing to provide our core programs as well as an increased emphasis on funding diversification, programming expansion, geographic expansion, staffing additions, and more.
As a relatively young organization, we have spent the last seven years, "building the plane and flying it at the same time." As an organization, we are now poised to begin the strategic planning process in order to move us from an organization in adolescent growth to mature sustainability. Our board of directors is excited about this opportunity and our staff has the bandwidth to be be able to take on a project of this size.
Beverly's Birthdays provides birthday cheer for children experiencing homelessness and families in need.
Our organization believes that every child, regardless of personal or financial circumstances, deserves a very special birthday.
Since 2012, we have established partnerships with 68 social service agencies (shelters, family support centers, group homes, food banks, etc.), 73 low-income schools, and a contract with Allegheny County CYF to provide meaningful birthday experiences for so many deserving children/families.
We offer our agency partners the following services:
* Birthday Parties: we host a celebration at the agency for children who have a birthday during that month/season. The guests are the other children in the program and their families (if applicable). The celebrations are staffed by volunteers and the parties include food, dessert, games/entertainment, and treat bags.
* The Birthday Boutique: is a mobile fashion truck that accompanies us to our birthday parties. The youth can board the vehicle and "shop" for items that make them look good and feel good.
* Birthday Presents: the children we serve receive a birthday cheer bin on their birthday. This bin is filled with gender and age appropriate gifts, which we can customize. The bins include a new book and a new toothbrush/toothpaste. A bin contains $50 worth of items. We believe these extra items help reinforce a "happy, healthy year...filled with cheer."
* Itty Bitty Birthday Cheer: This program provides birthday cheer bins filled with essential newborn items for newborn babies. We also partner with agencies to provide group baby showers.
* Birthday-in-a-Bag: Pre-assembled bags filled with all the necessary items to host a small birthday celebration (cake mix, frosting, plates, cups, napkins, party hats, etc.) to our agency partners that they can then distribute to families in-need.
* Classroom Cheer: In collaboration with The Education Partnership, we provide teachers in 73 low-income elementary and primary schools throughout the Greater Pittsburgh region with their own Classroom Cheer Kit. This kit contains everything a teacher would need to celebrate their student's birthdays.
Each day, through our Birthday Cheer programs, we recognize 55 birthdays. In 2018 alone, we will recognize over 20,000 birthdays! Our work was recently featured in The Washington Post, Fox News, and HLN and our founder, Megs Yunn, was named one of five people making Pittsburgh a Happier Place.