Valley Family Center
San Fernando, California, USA
MissionValley Family Center was founded in 1987 with the mission to provide counseling and educational services that facilitate personal growth, strengthen the family unit, and protect human dignity for all persons in need. Valley Family Center is a non-profit organization that is committed to making these services accessible to the low-income community of the San Fernando Valley who could not afford these services otherwise. All programs are designed to build self-esteem, encourage self-sufficiency and help clients reach their full potential.
What We DoTo achieve its mission, Valley Family Center provides the following services:
* Counseling: individual, couple and family therapy for adults and children, and support groups on special topics that vary during the year.
* Victims of Domestic Violence Programs: case management, support groups, and therapy for children and adults who are victims and witnesses of domestic violence and sexual abuse. A sexual abuse awareness group for (non-offending) parents of children who have been sexually abused meets weekly to help parents support their children through the healing process and prevent future abuse.
* Batterers' Intervention Program: 52-week court-approved classes for perpetrators of domestic violence help clients learn about different types of abuse and build healthy coping, stress management, anger management and communication skills.
* Parent Education: instruction on child development and positive discipline techniques that meets court and Department and Children and Family Services (DCFS) requirements.
* The Learning Center: after school tutoring for at-risk children including programming focused on STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), art and music enrichment classes.
* Outreach and Education: to inform the community about domestic violence, reduce the stigma of counseling, and provide information about VFC programs.