The mission of TaikoArts Midwest (TAM) is to develop, produce and promote artistic excellence in Taiko performance and to use Taiko to strengthen and build community in the Midwest. We are often an audience's first experience with Taiko drumming, and we strive to represent our art with integrity and passion.
What We Do
We have over 20 years of programming experience, including producing concerts, running studio classes, teaching in-school residencies, and performing and leading workshops at school, private, and community events.
* To increase public awareness, appreciation, and access to Taiko in the Midwest
* To create moving and transforming Taiko performances
* To nurture, promote, and train Taiko artists
* To create, explore, and expand the Taiko canon of work
* To build professional, artistic, and personal bridges between the US and Japan
* To counter Asian American stereotypes and provide a gateway into Japanese and Asian American culture and community
* To maintain the connection and integrity of Taiko to its Japanese and Asian American cultural roots
* To address gender inequality in Taiko through HERbeat initiatives
* To use Taiko as a tool of healing, empowerment, and self expression for individuals and communities