Vice President, Partnerships
Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Our mission is simple: catalyze positive social change by building a stronger nonprofit sector fueled by talent abundance. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
About Role and the Department
The Vice President, Partnerships will be a senior leader for a major revenue driving team at Catchafire during a period of aggressive growth and transformation.
Reporting to the SVP of Partnerships, the VP will be responsible for growing the long term, sustainable value of a portfolio of Catchafire’s foundation partnerships. This individual will partner closely with our new business team as we shape our expansion strategies and will then be responsible for realizing that strategy with specific partners or regions in their portfolio. In addition, the VP will be at the forefront of how we transform our workflow, systems and programming to ensure that we are delivering maximum impact for our partners and growing relationships with our most senior contacts in the philanthropic sector. The VP will directly supervise a team of 1-2 to start, and we anticipate the team will grow.
- Drive growth through strong relationships: You understand what it takes to get things done in a complex organization with many decision makers, and you are able to motivate different individuals up and down an organization to take action. You know how to effectively sell-in a vision and are able to navigate complex pricing and structuring discussions to ensure that the proper balance of relationship and revenue is created and maintained. You see opportunities via relationships; you create a sense of mutual accountability, inspire action, and follow up effectively to ensure momentum.
- Set and execute a vision: You can see the long-term vision for the program and partnership based on where Catchafire is headed, and you are able to identify the steps and plan the path to get there. You are often the person that sees opportunities before anyone else, and you bring your team and partner along with you because you can visualize the way forward.
- Structured delegator and project manager: You are highly skilled at managing cross-functional projects to fulfill partner objectives. You give clear, well-defined assignments, and you effectively manage people to own significant responsibilities and hold them accountable. An effective leader in this role can engage their team without falling into destructive micro-management, going deep while still conveying respect for team members and commitment to team members making and owning decisions.
- Intentional leader: Over the years you have developed an effective and intentional leadership style that is true to your own personality. You are a leader who believes that you are both a teacher and a student. Some may call you a “servant leader,” but you know there is much more to it than that. You manage people's strengths, and your goal is to help them become the best they can be.
- Effective communicator: You lead through listening, dialogue, and debate. You begin by asking rather than telling the partner. You make the partner feel heard, and in so doing, you gather information to help address their needs more effectively. You create a sense of mutual accountability, build team spirit, and follow up effectively to ensure momentum and create trust with your team through consistent behaviors.
- Creatively solve problems working backwards from the objective: You arrive quickly at an understanding of the client’s objectives and the root causes behind an issue, including any issues that might be in tension with one another. You solve the problem in a resourceful, analytical way that is in service to Catchafire but also meets the partner’s own strategic objectives. You can drive this kind of problem solving in real time, working with partners or others to help them see the implications of their objectives for what needs to be done.
Responsibilities of the Vice President, Partnerships
Manage and Grow a Portfolio of Partnerships:
- Manage, oversee and grow a portfolio of our largest and most impactful partnerships with grantmaking foundations. You will oversee and become the expert on leading foundations in the United States and globally, who are focused on community building, supporting local philanthropy, and elevating nonprofit organizations and ecosystems to achieve impact.
- Steer the strategy and implementation of pricing across your entire portfolio, including the evolution of unique structures like regional collaboratives.
- Secure maximum at/above goal renewal revenue for portfolio with no contract time gaps. This includes overseeing and enabling partner renewal discussions which will often include ensuring mindset alignment and the positioning of expansion opportunities and program design innovations. Goal is 90% portfolio renewal.
- Build, deepen and grow partner relationships across all levels of the organization, including senior and executive leadership, in support of long-term partnerships and the maximization of revenue opportunities. Build lasting and deep relationships with our partners and set the partnership up for long-term success and growth.
- Collaborate closely with new business teammates to unlock revenue potential of key communities and ecosystems.
- Though regular travel is expected in this role, we are currently not expecting employees to travel due to COVID-19 through at least Spring 2021 (though maybe longer), and are happy to discuss any reasonable accommodations you would need to succeed in this role
Manage and Grow a Team of Talented Individuals:
- Lead and build a rapidly growing team of Partnership Managers. You will start with 1-2 Partnership Managers as direct reports, and you will need to advise on hiring and team design needs as Catchafire is growing quickly.
- Provide outstanding people leadership and coaching to the Foundation Partnerships team, working with team members on the success of their portfolios and how they continue to develop their skills and grow in their roles and with the organization.
Advance Catchafire’s Thought Leadership and Sector Relationships:
- Build, deepen and grow relationships in the sector that strengthen Catchafire’s foundation partnerships, brand equity and ability to grow revenue
- Cultivate relationships with existing foundation clients so that they serve as advocates, ambassadors and connectors for us
- Conceive of and lead innovative and compelling convenings of foundation leaders to position Catchafire as a thought leader on capacity building and social impact
Experience / Background
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- Extensive and progressive experience managing and growing a portfolio of large and complex partnerships (perhaps 10-12 years)
- Experience building partnerships based on a challenging, unproven, other innovative program, product, or service
- Track record of leading and successfully coaching high performing teams of revenue generators
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that enable you to both pitch Catchafire to leaders of their field and communicate your long term vision and strategic process to your internal stakeholders
- Experience working on new and growing teams or those that are actively changing and evolving
- Excellent ability to build internal and external relationships
- Excellent collaboration skills, with a track record of partnering with colleagues at any level and within many facets of an organization
- Significant experience working in philanthropy or working closely with philanthropic institutions as a part of the social sector (e.g. nonprofit development or fundraising experience)
If our values resonate with you, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify "Vice President, Partnerships" in the subject line and include short answers (150 words or less) to the following questions in lieu of a formal cover letter:
- Why do you want to work at Catchafire?
- What does it take to build a strong team culture?
Catchafire’s office is based in New York City, though we will be working remotely until at least April 2021 due to COVID-19.
We are open to candidates who are located in the New York City metro region or San Francisco Bay Area with the ability to come into an office at least a few times a week once it is safe to do so. We will continue to assess our return date and when we will resume work travel as the situation progresses, and consider our employees’ safety as a top priority.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.