Senior Director, Strategic Partnerships
Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Our mission is simple: catalyze positive social change by building a stronger nonprofit sector fueled by talent abundance. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
About the Role and the Department
Catchafire’s Strategic Partnerships team is the key revenue driver of the company and supports Catchafire’s mission by accelerating the adoption of Catchafire by grantmaking foundations, philanthropic institutions, companies and, ultimately, professionals and nonprofits.
We generate opportunities via thought leadership and key relationships. The essence of your role will be to forge new business partnerships and shepherd our high quality leads all the way to close. In addition to partnering with the VP, Strategic Partnerships and other senior sellers on a regional strategy, you will also be responsible for your own book of business as an individual contributor. This will involve a mix of cold and warm outreach to new potential foundation partners, developing sophisticated and effective proposals for senior leadership for potential foundation partners, managing a robust pipeline, cultivating relationships with decision makers at various levels within the organization, and effectively communicating the value of Catchafire to strategic stakeholders in complex organizations.
Your success in this role will require you to operate effectively as a stellar enterprise salesperson and relationship builder, extraordinary problem solver, project manager, and team player.
- Visionary: You have demonstrated ability to create demand and sustain relationships for a visionary product or service. You build trust through your authenticity, clear communication, and natural ease with people.
- Manage through relationships: You understand what it takes to get things done in a complex organization with many decision makers, and you are able to motivate different individuals up and down an organization to take action.
- Keep many balls in the air: You are efficient and organized. You can take in a range of events at different levels of urgency and importance, formulate responses, and keep progress going on many fronts at once.
- Visualize path to goal: You are an extremely strategic problem solver. You understand how decisions get made, you can take in multiple inputs at the same time, and you evaluate what choices are on the table in order to take action and chart a path forward. You are a seasoned project manager and entrepreneurial in how you maximize your resources.
Responsibilities of the Senior Director, Strategic Partnerships
- Lead large, complex deals from start to finish
- Shepherd qualified leads to close by selling strategically through a complex organization
- Develop the arc of the sale and seamlessly lead client stakeholders along the way
- Develop pricing, deal structure, proposal, and presentations to drive forward the sale
- Negotiate terms and close
- Serve as an individual contributor, though with some opportunities to mentor and train junior members of the sales team
- Instill a culture of learning and innovation throughout the sales team
- Work closely with the Enterprise Accounts Team to set up the new client for success; work with the Enterprise Accounts Team to strategically position the account for renewal
- Represent Catchafire at conferences and events as a speaker, panelist, or facilitator to improve build on our thought leadership
Experience / Background
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, of if not all, of the following needs:
- Significant relevant experience with progressive responsibility (perhaps 5+ years) closing large, complex, transformative deals and building strategic client relationships at the enterprise level
- Commitment, experience OR interest in the social good sector
- Though prior experience in the social good sector is not required, we are looking for individuals who are seeking to learn deeply about this space and, over time, become thought leaders
- Demonstrated proficiency in independently developing and executing a prospecting and outreach strategy. A bonus is if you have done this in a challenging new region for a new or innovative partnership
- Experience that establishes an intuitive understanding of how large organizations work and an ability to quickly speak the language of different companies and/or large foundations
- High quality standard to manage multiple projects at a time while paying attention to detail
- Exceptional presentation and verbal and written communications skills that enable you to both pitch Catchafire to leaders of their field and communicate your strategy and process to your internal stakeholders
- Though travel is usually expected in this role for up to one third of your time, we are currently not expecting employees to travel due to COVID-19 through at least Spring 2021 (though maybe longer), and are happy to discuss any reasonable accommodations you would need to succeed in this role
If our values resonate with you, email your resume to email@example.com. Please specify "Senior Director, Strategic Partnerships" in the subject, and include short answers (150 words or less) to the following questions in lieu of a formal cover letter:
- Why do you want to work at Catchafire?
- Please describe a sale or partnership that you led from start to finish that you would describe as “transformative”, “radical”, or otherwise particularly challenging to communicate effectively. Please include an explanation of why you feel that your example fits this criteria.
Catchafire’s office is based in New York City, though we will be working remotely until at least April 2021 due to COVID-19.
We are open to candidates who are not located in New York City, but are located near a major airport and willing to travel regularly once it is safe to do so. We will continue to assess our return date and when we will resume work travel as the situation progresses, and consider our employees’ safety as a top priority.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.