Sr. Associate, People Operations & Recruiting
Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Our mission is simple: catalyze positive social change by building a stronger nonprofit sector fueled by talent abundance. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
About Role and the Department
This is the perfect job for someone looking to flex their operational skills while leaning into their love of people and culture!
At least 50% or more of your time will be spent working directly with our Recruiting Manager to hire for various roles across the organization, and improving our recruiting systems to promote diverse, equitable and inclusive growth on our team.
The rest of your time will be spent as a People Operations generalist. Your projects could span many of our key internal company functions, such as compliance, company tools, learning and development, celebration and recognition, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) both as a work stream in and of itself and a lens for examining all of our internal systems and processes. While the work may look very different from month to month, your overarching goal as a member of our People Team is to help our internal company operations reflect our values, our mission, and our vision of an inclusive, empathetic and loving culture.
This role is designed to evolve with the growth and development of Catchafire and the People Team. You’ll be co-managed by the Director, People Operations and the Recruiting Manager.
- Inclusive collaborator: You understand that how you work with your team is just as (if not more) important as what you will accomplish. You naturally start by listening, approach new situations with curiosity, and see genuine value in other’s perspectives and lived experiences.
- Low ego: You have a positive, roll-up-your-sleeves mindset that helps you be effective on both “high level” and “in the weeds” work. Your humility, grit, and open mindedness make you highly adaptable and you are always ready to take on whatever needs to be done.
- Flexibility: Rather than shy away from change, you see every new opportunity as a chance for learning and growth. You enjoy trying new things, and are excited by a job that brings variety and new challenges, and see them as opportunities to strengthen your professional toolkit.
- Structured Operator: You are able to work fast without cluttering your desk or mind. You have a knack for project management and are able to juggle many ongoing projects and priorities simultaneously. Your organizational skills are your superpower, and you ensure that every piece of work that is produced under your watch is excellent.
- Strong judgement: You are actively developing your ability to make good decisions and create the space you need to make them. Your growth in your ability to make strong and thoughtful judgement calls will help you use your time more effectively, and over time help you produce more. You are honing this skill by actively absorbing context about our business, building comfort in recognizing ‘what you don’t know’, and exercising your resources to get the information you need.
Responsibilities of the Senior Associate, People Operations and Recruiting
- Coordinate Catchafire’s recruiting processes across a wide variety of roles at all stages of the candidate journey
- Act as a powerful advocate for Catchafire’s values and mission
- Partner with the Recruiting Manager to optimize and improve our recruiting and interviewing systems company wide
- Contribute to reporting and tracking of People Team KPIs (key performance indicators)
- Help support or lead wide-ranging projects as assigned by the People Operations Director or Chief People Officer in areas such as (but not limited to):
- Compliance, policies, and processes
- Company tools and workstreams
- Company communications, events, or programming
- Onboarding and departures
- Growth reviews
- Learning & Development
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) related programming
- Annual processes, such as annual benefits review, employee engagement survey, and employee handbook
Experience / Background
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- Progressive professional experience (likely more than 2-3 years) in a dynamic environment with complex and multi-faceted project management experience
- You are comfortable with tracking and organizational systems, and perhaps have used an Applicant Tracking System (ATS), Customer Relationship Management system (CRM), or similar tools
- Experience scheduling and managing calendars, ideally for senior leadership
- Experience managing important and high stakes external communications
- You have superb written and verbal communication skills, and are comfortable with a variety of different formats and audiences
- A strong connection to or desire to learn more about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), and a willingness to invest deeply in this work within a professional setting
- We are open to a broad range of ways a candidate may have developed this interest or had exposure to these concepts including but not limited to experience with organizationational DEI in a prior role (professional, volunteer, or other), participating in DEI work and/or related trainings, etc.
If our values resonate with you, email your resume to email@example.com. Please specify "Sr. Associate, People Operations & Recruiting" in the subject line, and include short answers (250 words or less) to the following questions in lieu of a formal cover letter:
- What’s most exciting to you about Recruiting and/or People Operations?
- What’s something you’re passionate about?
Catchafire’s office is based in New York City, though we will be working remotely until at least April 2021 due to COVID-19.
We are open to candidates who are not located in New York City, but are located near a major airport and willing to travel to New York at least a few times a year (once it is safe to do so). We will continue to assess our return date and when we will resume work travel as the situation progresses, and consider our employees’ safety as a top priority.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.