Special Assistant to the CEO
Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Our mission is simple: catalyze positive social change by building a stronger nonprofit sector fueled by talent abundance. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
About the Role and the Department
This role is for you if you see endless opportunity in learning and accomplishing new things every day.
As Special Assistant to the CEO, you are integral to Catchafire’s day-to-day operations as well as its longer term capabilities and efficiency. As Special Assistant, you will work closely with our Leadership Team, and report into the Associate Chief of Staff.
You will be exposed to an extremely wide range of responsibilities, from providing critical leverage and support to our CEO and Chief People Officer, including calendar management, work stream prioritization, and managing key logistics with external contacts, to owning key work streams that will allow you to grow in your ability to weigh in on important business decisions.
You will be exposed to highly sensitive company information to which others on the team may not be privy. You will be asked to make complex and critical judgment calls, and you will serve as a sounding board in important situations.
For the right individual, this unique role will serve as an unparalleled opportunity to learn firsthand what it takes to support executive decision-making in a high-growth business. The Special Assistant to the CEO will join the People Operations team.
- Integrity:You will have access to highly sensitive and confidential information that you will be trusted to treat with great care. You always choose to make the right decision versus the easy decision. You know what information is powerful; you never misuse that power and protect it accordingly.
- Excellent judgement: You will also be asked to make critical judgment calls, and you take that responsibility seriously. You can pull on your strong analytical abilities or your instincts at the right time to make the right judgment call across a range of decisions, including those that are small but important.
- Empathy:You are empathetic and a keen people reader. You have a natural sense of people’s concerns and motivations; you understand how to “meet people where they’re at” so that you can work together to create mutually beneficial solutions; you hold a genuine care for the well-being of other people.
- Low ego: You have a positive, roll-up-your-sleeves mindset that helps you be effective on both “high level” and “in the weeds” work. Your humility, grit, and open mindedness make you highly adaptable and you are always ready to take on whatever needs to be done.
- Structured Thinker: You work methodically and like to create appropriate and effective structures to help you and your team accomplish goals. Your organizational skills are your superpower, and ensure that every piece of work that is produced under your watch is excellent.
- Detail-Oriented: You are able to work fast without cluttering your desk or mind. You have a knack for project management and a love for bullet points. You cringe at typos, and you are the first to identify a formatting error. You care deeply about the details.
- Initiative: You take ownership. You constantly seek opportunities to optimize processes and improve efficiency. You are resourceful, practical, and hone in on your curiosity and growth mindset to seek out the information you need to make the right decisions. You are able to take in different kinds of input and quickly and effectively sort out action plans.
Responsibilities of the Special Assistant to the CEO
Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the calendar and workflows of our CEO and Chief of Staff
- Strategically manage these two executives’ daily, weekly, and monthly schedules to build in time for their most important work streams
- Provide leverage by gathering information, communicating across different teams, managing travel logistics, monitoring progress on key projects, and helping manage their workflows
- Own communications and scheduling with team and key external contacts
- Manage logistics and preparation for key meetings, such as client meetings and client-related travel
- Provide as-needed support for our other Executive Team members on specific work streams and occasional travel
- Support the Associate Chief of Staff on a broad and evolving range of business needs including revenue team management, board relations, internal communications, Executive project management, and the most critical work streams that affect our triple bottom line: mission impact, financial sustainability, and our people
- As you grow in this role, responsibilities may increase to include helping with People Operations or company systems in areas such as recruiting, culture & values, employee engagement, and special events.
Experience / Background
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- 2+ years professional experience
- Experience managing many simultaneous work streams with utmost attention to detail
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research and critical thinking ability
- Ability to quickly learn to do the things you have never done before
- Startup and/or Operations exposure OR experience supporting senior managers
If our values resonate with you, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify "Special Assistant to the CEO" in the subject, and please include short answers to the following questions:
- What would you be most eager to learn in this role?
- Which one of the attributes listed in the job description resonates most strongly with you and why?
Catchafire’s office is based in New York City, though we will be working remotely until at least April 2021 due to COVID-19.
We are open to candidates who are located in the New York City metro region or San Francisco Bay Area with the ability to come into an office at least a few times a week once it is safe to do so. We will continue to assess our return date and when we will resume work travel as the situation progresses, and consider our employees’ safety as a top priority.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.