Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Our mission is simple: catalyze positive social change by building a stronger nonprofit sector fueled by talent abundance. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
About Role and the Department
Catchafire’s Revenue Operations is a team that is responsible for deeply understanding the health of Catchafire’s Partnerships and supercharging those teams with tools, processes and strategic thinking to grow Catchafire’s ability to impact new and existing foundation partners.
The Business Strategist will have a unique role within the organization to work with our Director of Revenue Operations on high priority strategic projects. These projects will be focused initially on improving capabilities in the Revenue functions (New Business & Existing Partnerships) and expand to include cross-functional strategic projects that help to improve how we identify and address client needs in alignment with our mission.
To succeed in this role, you must be highly dynamic, a self starter, hungry to learn and grow, eager to roll up your sleeves and get deep into the weeds, able to solve complex problems masterfully, and able to prove your solutions and galvanize the broader team to adopt them.
Last but not least, we feel that building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team culture is critical to our organization’s mission, and our vision of an empathetic, inclusive, and loving world. As someone who will be tackling some of our most critical strategic projects, we are seeking individuals who see diversity, equity, and inclusion as key to building a successful business and committed to continuing on this journey with us.
- Strategic problem solver: You’re a structured thinker, adept at discovering root causes and assumptions. You begin by listening and assess problems with curiosity first. You are excellent at assessing existing and potential strategies and the tradeoffs between alternative courses of action, and ultimately, able to chart a clear path in convoluted situations.
- Inclusive collaborator: You approach your role as a cross-team communicator with empathy and inclusivity. You’ve worked hard to learn how to communicate effectively to all types of audiences, and are thoughtful about how others communicate and process differently than you. You eagerly invest time in honing your inclusive approach, because you know how important it is to your overall effectiveness.
- Integrity: You will have access to highly sensitive and confidential information that you will be trusted to treat with great care. You always choose to make the right decision versus the easy decision. You know what information is powerful; you never misuse that power and protect it accordingly.
- Quick and Self Directed Learner: You quickly understand new concepts, process and retain a large amount of new content, and automatically adjust your perspective and framework for understanding accordingly. You’re able to learn quickly because of a deep and carefully honed self awareness in how you learn best, and intrinsic motivation to take initiative for your own learning and growth.
- Low ego: You have a positive, roll-up-your-sleeves mindset that helps you be effective on both “high level” and “in the weeds” work. Your humility, grit, and open mindedness make you highly adaptable and you are always ready to take on whatever needs to be done.
Responsibilities of the Business Strategist
The Business Strategist is responsible for designing and building effective solutions and running the systems they develop for some time. In this role, your success will be determined by the results of your solution and how you engaged others to develop and operationalize it, not just by the design.
- You will be assigned to several strategic projects that will range from 1-6 months to potentially longer term. These projects may be complex, nebulous, and/or business critical
- For each project,
- You will be tasked with directing a thoughtful discovery process, collaborating and deeply engaging with all relevant stakeholders to build a thorough understanding of the issue at hand. You will rarely if ever operate in a silo, and it’s as important to success in this role to be a strong collaborator and team player as it is to drive results
- You will be asked to both develop the solution and measure the results. While initially, you should be oriented towards thoughtful experimentation, you will also need to methodically operationalize and maintain your solution to deliver consistently excellent results
- Eventually, when you are asked to hand off the solution or system you have built, you will be tasked with ensuring proper transition so no balls are dropped
- Doing this job well will depend on your ability to pull external trends and insights and continually hone your understanding of the business, the social sector, and our partners
- Excelling at this job will depend on your ability to listen deeply and thoughtfully, have a highly inclusive approach to collaboration, and your ability to connect the dots from day-to-day operations to big picture strategy and goals
- The first 6 months in this role will be more heavily designed to help you learn deeply about the business, though over time you will increasingly help guide our strategic direction and the next projects you take on
Due to the highly dynamic nature of this particular role, all of the responsibilities above may change. We’re seeking someone who is prepared for and excited by a frequently changing set of responsibilities and being regularly asked to stretch in new ways.
Experience / Background
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- Extensive and relevant experience with progressive responsibility (perhaps 5-7+ years) working in roles that require significant problem solving and solution development.
- Familiarity with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), and specifically how these concepts manifest in a professional setting
- We are open to a broad range of ways a candidate may have developed this experience, including but not limited to experience with organizationational DEI in a prior role, participating in DEI work and/or related trainings, experience with or understanding of DEI issues within the social sector and with institutions we partner with, etc.
- Experience using analytics to organize data and pull out key insights
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills that have enabled you to communicate long term vision and make a compelling business case to your internal stakeholders
- Track record of excellently managing multiple projects with many stakeholders at a time without losing close attention to detail
- Commitment, experience OR interest in the social good sector
- Though prior experience in the social good sector is not required, we are seeking individuals looking to learn deeply about this space and quickly progress into thought leaders
- Consulting and startup experience is a plus
If our values resonate with you, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify "Business Strategist" in the subject line, and include short answers (250 words or less) to the following questions in lieu of a formal cover letter:
- Why do you want to work at Catchafire?
- Please briefly and clearly describe one of the most complex or ambiguous business problems you’ve solved and what it taught you.
Catchafire’s office is based in New York City, though we will be working remotely until at least April 2021 due to COVID-19. We will continue to assess our return date as the situation progresses, and consider our employees’ safety as a top priority.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.