Website Using Wordpress
A project for Restaurant Opportunities Center of New York
Pro Bono Time
Pro Bono Time
Our current website (www.rocny.org) is outdated, unattractive, and extremely difficult to maintain. We would like to re-design the website to look more like the website of our umberella organization, ROC-United (www.rocunited.org). Their website is wordpress-based and we can get the html code from them. There are significant changes that we would prefer to make, so ours would not be an exact replica of their site, but theirs will be a useful starting point.
Your website is the frontline of communications for your organization. This project entails creating a basic website and online presence for your organization anchored in a Wordpress Platform.
- A WordPress.org driven website including:
- Up to 10 web pages
- Site navigation
- Archives of all site development files (essential for future work on the website)
- Instructions on how to maintain the website, which may include:
- Navigating the Administration Panel
- How to update content on Blogs and Pages, or custom plugins used for content
- Basic customization
- Access to numerous plug-ins to meet your organization’s future needs
- Note: This project does not include custom plug-in development. This project only includes the configuration of freely available or purchased, ready-to-use plug-ins. The professional can help you to identify the plug-ins necessary to meet your immediate needs and goals.
Note: This project does not include website design work. Over 1,500 customizable themes are available for download here.
Your organization registers its domain name with a web host. If necessary, the professional can provide assistance
Your organization and the professional discuss your organization's goal and purpose for the website, target audience, functionality, special features, audience interactivity, and timeline for project completion
Your organization and the professional review, discuss and sign off on the website design / Wordpress template
The professional installs the WordPress on the web host and points it to a testing sub-domain
Your organization provides any necessary information to the professional to proceed with the building of the website. This may include navigation links, logo, pictures, and all text to be included on the site
The professional codes the website based upon your organization's final web design and uploads text content and multimedia materials to the site
When necessary, the professional creates a favicon (an URL icon) and a site map page which includes one-click access to all pages of the site
Your organization uses the testing site for 1 week and provides feedback. Based on your organization's feedback, the professional makes necessary adjustments to the website and the web development is completed
The professional copies all website files and scripts to your organization's domain and launches the site
The professional creates an Instruction Manual and Website Maintenance Document for your organization
The professional and your organization conduct a wrap up meeting to discuss how to maintain the website after the project.
- Experience setting up a web host
- Experience developing WordPress.org websites
- Proven experience in web development
- Site content
- An active domain name and web hosting service, or budget for obtaining a domain name and hosting service that supports: PHP 4.3 or greater, MySQL 4.1.2 or greater, or the mod_rewrite Apache module (the professional can help you secure this)
- An existing WordPress theme downloaded from WordPress.org or an original theme that has been designed. Over 1,500 customizable themes are available for download here
- If you intend to have your own theme designed (i.e. you’re not using an existing WordPress theme), consider the Website Visual Design
- Explanation of website needs and goals
- Staff who can invest necessary time and resources to manage the website
You mentioned you like the site at http://rocunited.org/. Have you already chosen a specific Wordpress theme to use?