A project for PHI (Paraprofessional Healthcare Institute)
May 12, 2013
Pro Bono Time
- What makes our organization great?
Since 1992, the nonprofit PHI has worked to transform the employment opportunities that the home care sector offers for low-income individuals. Unique within this field, PHI provides free home health aide training in the Bronx, with guaranteed placement in jobs that recognize the dignity of home care work and its value to the community, with: above-average wages, full-time hours, overtime protection, worker-ownership, and extensive employment supports.
- What do we need?
We would like to capture our work at a new location in the heart of our Bronx community—with photographs of our office and training space that speak to our mission to promote quality home care jobs as the foundation for quality care.
- Why is this important?
At PHI, we have seen the profound effects of high-quality training and job creation on the independence and quality of life of low-income individuals and families throughout New York City.
We see the impact of our organization as a powerful story that we could tell in much stronger ways for a variety of audiences. Compelling, current photographs of our work have long been a crucial missing piece in our storytelling.
New images will enhance our marketing materials and communications with foundations, community leaders, and news organizations, as well as the websites of PHI and our long-term care affiliates co-located at our new offices.
- What do we have in place for our project?
PHI staff are friendly and eager to collaborate to showcase this important work. The shoot will take place at a single site, with a manager dedicated to ensuring that your contribution to PHI is a significant and positive experience.
- What does this work offer for volunteers?
This project presents a meaningful opportunity to collaborate with a nationally recognized nonprofit committed to improving the lives of workers in the fastest-growing occupation in the country, and those who rely on their support.
One great photograph can tell the whole story in one glance and with more power and emotion than a thousand beautifully written words. Whether there is an event you want covered or you have men, women and children whose faces tell the whole story of your mission and values, a talented photographer’s expert eye can make this a reality.
- Experience with event photography, photojournalism, or commercial photography.
- Proficiency in using photo editing software such as Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop.
- Geographic proximity to the organization, or willingness to travel.
- Sample work that you can share with an organization.
- An idea for the story you want to tell, willing subjects or an event you want to document.
- Signed releases from locations and models.
- Ability to cover hard expenses (film, developing).