Technology Expert Advice
A project for NYCRx
Feb. 12, 2013
Pro Bono Time
We're going to be moving offices from donated space to different donated space. I am currently in City gov't space, with telephone + IT support + connectivity. We'll be moving into semi-furnished space, but it wont have any tech. I need someone to help me navigate office setup including phones (system selection, phone selection...), internet connectivity, fax setup... the whole works. I have the name/number of the facilities person at the new place and I'm sure he can answer some questions, but it's been made clear to us that all setup and logistics are our responsibility. And since it's donated space, I want to be as little of a hassle for them as possible.
A well-designed technology plan helps an organization increase its efficiency in daily operations. Yet, many nonprofits and social enterprises face significant challenges in determining what technology services, applications, and infrastructure to put in place. A technology adviser helps an organization clarify its most pressing technology needs and guides the organization in the right direction to make appropriate technology decisions.
A written document containing:
- Organization’s current technology resources and needs
- A list of high-level recommendations on what technology services, applications and infrastructure an organization should consider to address organizational needs
- A list of prerequisites and an expected budget for each of the recommendations
- A list of specific technology solution providers and vendors (optional)
The Executive Director, or equivalent, and professional discuss the organization's needs and discuss technology challenges.
The professional conducts more in-depth research into the organization's technology needs.
The professional develops an initial high-level recommendation to the organization with expected budget.
The professional and organization discuss the recommendation.
The professional delivers the final recommendation to the organization.
- At least 4 years of experience in Information Technology, including strategic planning at the Director/CTO/CIO-level
- Familiarity with a large number and variety of technology solutions
- Experience with the full lifecycle of IT projects including conception, planning, deployment, and support
- Understanding of what the organization will have to do to implement recommendations
- The ability to provide a list of goals to achieve and problems to solve through technology prior to the first meeting
- The ability to describe what existing technology solutions the organization uses
i have some questions:
1. where is the new office
2. how many computers do you own?
i am not a telephone expert and cannot advise you there.
i can certainly help you with setting up the computers/internet connection etc. when it comes to phones i am probably not your guy.
if this works please let me know. when is the move scheduled to?
"... you can help us w/ the various tech options, choices, server, network issues that'd be great".
can you please explain what needs to be done?
how do you have things working currently?
do you have a firewall or router? are the printers shared at all?
i will research fax services.
okay good. we are making progress.
besides the firewall/router which you have at home, what are services are provided for you in the current space that will not be present in the new one?
also, are you getting cable or DSL in the new space? did you decide on the package yet (ie upload/donwload speed etc).
let's continue this conversation via email: pengas [at] gmail [dot] com.