A project for Metanexus
Pro Bono Time
Metanexus would like to create a promotional video for the One Day Universe, a day long celebration of science from the Big Band to the 21st Century, to be held in 2013. For more information about this exciting project, go to http://www.metanexus.net/conference/one-day-universe
A promotional video gives an organization the opportunity to communicate what the organization does and why it is important to a wide audience in an engaging manner. It offers an avenue for reaching potential patrons as well as people who may not yet be familiar with the organization. A promotional video can be used both on and offline for events, presentations, websites, and e-mail distribution, or shared through social media sites.
The professional and the organization meet to discuss the purpose of the video, key messages to convey, desired viewing audience, and format and logistics of the video (e.g. length, file format, uploading to websites, etc.). The organization provides the professional with any budget for additional expenses, usage rights for additional content, such as music, and an outline of the script.
The organization collects any collateral including raw video footage, photos, testimonials, media materials, and any other information about the organization to be included in the video.
The professional reviews the collateral delivered by the organization, determining which materials can be used. The organization digitizes all the materials in the format and resolution suggested by the professional.
The professional delivers an outline and script to the organization that map out the flow of the story as well as the major ideas and images to be conveyed in the video.
The professional and the organization conduct a meeting to review and make any changes, if necessary, to the outline and script. The organization will answer any outstanding questions.
The professional works with the organization to select interview subjects, develop interview questions and set up any shoots for gathering additional footage, if necessary.
The professional shoots the film. The organization obtains signatures on appearance release forms at each shoot.
The organization provides all opening text, credit information, and text for the lower-thirds (i.e. title, name of interviewees, etc.).
The professional delivers raw footage and a rough cut of the video, with 2-3 rounds of review by the organization. The organization reviews for accuracy of content and signs off on the length, script, sequence and content of the rough materials.
The professional delivers the final video to the organization in the agreed upon format.
Please Note: The organization will need a separate graphics editor for editing graphics used in the video and have an allocated budget for other additional expenses, if necessary.
- At least 2 years of experience in producing and editing videos or documentary films
- Experience with creative development
- Experience with script-writing, video interviewing and video shooting
- Experience with audio
- Access to video equipment and editing software such as iMovie, Final Cut Pro or Avid
- Geographic proximity to the organization, or willingness to travel
- An understanding of objectives, target audience, intended use, as well as established branding guidelines and marketing materials for content development
- Ability to prepare an outline/script of messages to be delivered and provide all opening text, credit information, and text for the lower-thirds (i.e. title, name of interviewees, etc.)
- Ability to collect or acquire access to any information to be included in the video (i.e. raw video footage, photos, testimonials, media materials), and digitize all materials in the agreed upon format and resolution
- Rights/permission to use any proprietary information, images, and/or music to be used in the video