A project for Grameen America, Inc.
Pro Bono Time
Grameen America is seeking a skilled professional to write our annual appeal. Grameen America has a very clear brand image and message; yet we want to ensure this appeal effectively describes our work and persuades individuals to donate to our cause. Grameen promotes empowerment not charity, and our carefully constructed and compelling language must reflect this distinction. The appeal will consist of a hard and soft copy version. The hard appeal will consist of a direct appeal, return card, and return envelope. The online version will mirror the hard copy, but spread out over 4 separate reminder emails. Each of the emails will tackle a slightly different theme within our overall messaging.
Copywriting is one of the most essential elements of effective marketing and communication. The art of copywriting involves the strategic articulation of words to powerfully communicate a message to target audiences about an organization or specific topics such as an organization’s mission, programs, services or projects. Effective copywriting has the power to inform, educate, persuade, inspire or provoke action from the audience. A copywriting project helps an organization develop concise and convincing content for brochures, one-pagers, or other written marketing materials.
Well-crafted, clearly written copy that meets an organization’s communications needs, including:
- Copyedited content for agreed upon materials (one-pager, marketing brochure or other written materials) that convey the organization’s intended message and are aligned and consistent with the organization’s brand and messaging.
- A text version of the electronic copy that is editable using Microsoft Word (or other agreed upon format).
- A basic visual copy layout in Word (This project does not include graphic design, but may include basic Word, InDesign, or Adobe Pagemaker layout with images if the professional is capable and willing).
The professional and organization meet to discuss the organization's public image, branding, and current marketing and communications collateral such as brochures, one-pagers and other written marketing materials. The organization and the professional determine the documents that require copywriting assistance.
The organization determines what resources it has available for professional graphic design and printing of the copy. The organization and the professional decide if the organization will use in-house resources or if an external party (or Catchafire graphic design pro bono professional) will design the finished product.
The organization and the professional discuss the purpose, message, and tone of the copy, including intended uses and target audience(s).
The organization gathers and delivers background content and resources to the professional, including other relevant marketing materials.
The professional decides how to articulate the mission, overview, goals, and approach of the organization (or other topics) and determines the appropriate copy content. The professional also suggests which images and/or artwork (if any) to include with the copy.
The professional drafts the copy and, as necessary, requests content and images from the organization.
The professional and organization review the copy for up to 3 rounds of assessment and editing.
The professional delivers final approved copy content to the organization.
Please Note: Marketing professionals are not expected to have graphic design skills. Organizations requiring additional design help can request an additional Catchafire graphic design project or seek their own resources.
- At least 2 years of experience in copywriting, marketing, public relations, communications or journalism
- Ability to synthesize and concisely communicate information
- Experience developing messaging for an organization
- Excellent copywriting skills
- Ability to provide previous samples of writing
- Experience designing print and/or digital marketing materials is a plus
- Clearly defined brand messaging and communications strategy
- Ability to deliver key collateral and information about the organization to the professional to develop content
- Ability to discuss and articulate its organization's mission and story
- If graphic design is required, the organization must have its own resources for graphic design or resources to engage a Catchafire graphic design pro bono professional