Online Marketing Plan
A project for Community Service Society of New York
Feb. 12, 2013
Pro Bono Time
We are looking for a creative Marketing Professional to promote our work with educating social service professionals on public benefit and housing programs. Your objective? Develop a social media marketing plan that will reach large social service entities who would use our Benefits Plus resource manual and who would participate in our training programs to enhance staff ability to effectively navigate the government benefit system on their clients’ behalf.
The purpose of an online marketing plan is to clearly define key objectives, strategies to achieve the objectives and specific tactics within the strategy that will yield a positive growth result. Online marketing may include social media marketing, search engine optimization, display advertising on partner sites, brand integration, email blasts, search engine marketing or message board communication.
An online marketing plan document outlining:
- Proposed budget (keeping in mind the organization's capital and human capital resource constraints)
- Target audience
- Strategic creative and branding recommendations that address the organization's key marketing objectives
- Recommended media planning of strategic placements, communication messages, creative designs
- Required resources and a timeline of execution
- Quantifiable metrics to evaluate the success of the plan and future campaigns
The professional and the organization discuss the organization's current online marketing presence as well as the organization's online marketing needs and objectives (e.g. site traffic, brand awareness, collecting donations). The organization determines available budget to be allocated to paid sources of online marketing.
The professional and the organization identify target audience(s) within the organization's existing network and determine which new audiences the organization would like to reach.
The professional conducts an inventory of the organization's digital assets (e.g. social media, search engine optimization, etc.) and identifies appropriate media tactics, channels, and properties for the organization’s online promotion. The professional assesses the organization’s online outreach/publicity capacity as well to determine if/how the organization is enlisting key influencers to communicate its mission.
The professional drafts an online marketing strategy document recommending activities and campaigns the organization can implement to achieve its online marketing goals. The organization and professional go through two rounds of review and discussion.
The professional instructs the organization on the various online tools that are available and how the organization might use them.
The professional and organization establish quantifiable metrics to evaluate the success of the plan and future campaigns (e.g. number of advertising impressions, visitors to website, CTR/interaction rates, number of unique donations). Together, they then analyze what content (e.g. video, pictures, personal appeals/stories, interactive questions, polls) would yield the highest interaction.
The professional delivers a final draft of online marketing plan with recommendations for next steps and implementation.
- 3-5 years of experience in digital media planning, digital media sales, e-mail marketing, social media campaigning, online marketing or business-to-consumers and/or business-to-business digital marketing
- Experience constructing an online marketing plan
- Experience executing an online marketing plan or campaign
- A main website
- Clearly defined Brand Messaging
- Social media assets (if none exist, willingness to create new SM assets)
- Core marketing message/positioning clarified and understood
- Target audience information and call-to-action strategy (if one exists)
- Ability to articulate organization's online marketing goals
- Willingness to allocate budget for online marketing activities (Note: paid sources of traffic may be recommended as the best strategic decision for the organization)