A project for Behind the Book
Feb. 12, 2013
Pro Bono Time
We have the bulk of the material from a video camera and an iphone. A voiceover still needs to be recorded and perhaps an on camera talking head may need to be taped. Most of it has been edited but could use some refinement. The ending will come from the iphone recording.
Video is a powerful medium. It helps an organization tell engaging stories, bring attention to a cause, and communicate its value and effectiveness to a wide audience. From footage and raw visual materials to a well-crafted story, video editing is the key step that makes sure the video conveys the organization’s intended message in a compelling way to its audience of choice.
An edited 1-3 minute video delivered in electronic format as agreed upon between the professional and organization, with HD quality as a master version, along with any agreed upon formats for final usage.
The professional and the organization meet to discuss the purpose of the video, key messages to convey, desired viewing audience, and format and logistics of the video (e.g. length, file format, uploading to websites, etc.). The organization provides the professional with any budget for additional expenses and usage rights for additional content, such as music. The organization also provides any available video footage and other content, as well as an outline of the script to the professional.
The organization collects any additional collateral (e.g. raw video footage, photos, testimonials, media materials) to be edited into the video, and digitizes all the materials in the format and resolution suggested by the professional. If applicable, the organization provides links to 3-5 videos it would like the professional to use as a creative guideline for the final product.
The professional reviews the organization’s video script and works with the organization to map out the flow of the story. The organization will answer any questions about the video script.
The professional delivers the edited outline and script to the organization that maps out the flow of the story, as well as the major ideas and images to be conveyed in the video.
The professional and the organization conduct a meeting to review and make any changes, if necessary, to the outline and script.
The organization provides all opening text, credit information, and text for the lower-thirds (i.e. title, name of interviewees, etc.).
The professional delivers a rough cut of the video, with 2-3 rounds of review by organization. The organization reviews for accuracy of content and signs off on the length, script, sequence and content of the rough materials.
The professional delivers the final video to the organization in the agreed upon format.
Please Note: This project does not include creation of any new content for the video. The organization will need a separate graphics editor for editing graphics used in the video and have an allocated budget for other additional expenses, if necessary.
- At least 2 years of experience in producing and editing videos or documentary films
- Experience with audio
- Experience with creative development and script-writing
- Access to video equipment and editing software
- An understanding of objective, target audience, intended use, as well as established branding guidelines and marketing materials for content development
- Ability to prepare an outline/script of messages to be delivered and provide all opening text, credit information, and text for the lower-thirds (i.e. title, name of interviewees, etc)
- Ability to collect or acquire access to any information to be included in the video (i.e. raw video footage, photos, testimonials, media materials), and digitize all materials in the agreed upon format and resolution
- Rights/permission to use any proprietary information, images, and/or music to be used in the video
Hi Jo. I'm interested in learning more about your project. Truth Be Told is a full service creative services filmmaking shop that focuses on nonprofits and we're wondering if this assignment is to create, shoot and edit a film or if you have already shot footage and just need an editor?